The goals of the Healthy Start program are to reduce infant mortality, reduce the number of low birth weight babies, and improve health and developmental outcomes.
The Healthy Start Coalition of Manatee County’s board of directors allocates funding to local agencies to provide Healthy Start program services, which include:
• Care Coordination and Outreach
• Breastfeeding and Childbirth education
• Parenting education and support
• Smoking Cessation Assistance
• Nutritional services and counseling
• Psychosocial counseling
• Home Visits
• Many other services to address individual identified risks
HSCMC also regularly seeks grants to help address related maternal child health needs such as infant safe sleep education, teen pregnancy prevention, and community outreach and education.