The Healthy Start (SOBRA) MomCare Program provides outreach services and prenatal care counseling by telephone to women who qualify for Medicaid because they are pregnant and their household income is within 185% of the federal poverty level. The purpose of the program is to ensure early and regular prenatal care to help women have healthy pregnancies and healthy babies. Each participant is linked with a Maternity Care Advisor who assists her in navigating the health care system and understanding her choices while she is pregnant. MomCare is sponsored by the Florida Department of Health (DOH) and Florida’s Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA).
How will it help you?
When you find out that you are pregnant, you may have questions that MomCare can help answer:
• What do I need to do?
• Where do I go for prenatal care?
• How do I get the extra help that I need?
• Who do I talk to if I have a problem?
How does it work?
Once you are approved for pregnancy (SOBRA) Medicaid, a caring Maternity Care Advisor (MCA) will be assigned to you to help answer your questions. Your MCA will assist you in getting medical care and services such as Women, Infants and Children program (WIC), childbirth education, parenting and breastfeeding education and support and psychosocial counseling, if needed.
How can your MomCare Advisor help you?
• Provide assistance in choosing a prenatal care provider.
• Make follow-up phone calls to ensure you are keeping health care appointments.
• May provide needed transportation assistance, if available.
• Provide WIC nutrition program information and referral.
• Refer you to Healthy Start services, when needed.
• Provide access and referrals to other community resources.
• Assist you in choosing a pediatrician for your newborn prior to delivery.
• Provide instructions on how to obtain or apply for the baby’s Medicaid.
• Assist you on accessing family planning/birth control services after delivery.
• Send you educational information by mail.
To contact Alicia Ordonez, Healthy Start MomCare Advisor, call 941-714-7541 ext. 303, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Choosing a Doctor or Midwife
It is important for you to contact the MomCare Program and provide the name of your doctor or midwife as soon as you are approved for Medicaid. If you have not already chosen your doctor or midwife, your MCA will help you find one close to your home. It is important for you to make this decision soon because early prenatal care helps to reduce pregnancy complications. If you do not contact your MCA within 30 days, the MomCare Program will choose a doctor or midwife for you that is within a 30-minute drive from your home. We look forward to helping you have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.